History of the Maienfels Castle
The Maienfels Castle at Wüstenrot in the Heilbronn district was built between 1230 and 1250. The core of the castle, still largely intact, was completely surrounded by a curtain wall. At that time, the lords of Neudeck were the inhabitants and owners of the castle. Over the course of the fourteenth century, it became more of a so-called “Ganerbiat”. This means that several knightly families shared the ownership of the castle. In the year 1441, during a feud, the Maienfels Castle was besieged, conquered and partly destroyed. Over the next twenty years, the castle was rebuilt under a new Ganerbiat (community of heirs). Parts of the castle were adapted to the new military requirements which arose from the development of firearms.
Towards the end of the eighteenth century, the line von Gemmingen-Maienfels died out. The castle then descended to the von Gemmingen-Hornbergs, in whose possession it remains today. Since then, the buildings have been continually lived in by the family. The non-profit foundation Maienfels Castle (Burg Maienfels) was founded in 1997 in order to raise funds for the maintenance of the castle.
Visiting the Maienfels Castle
Today, the special setting of Maienfels Castle is used for concerts and theatre performances. It is also possible to book the Marstall (former royal stables) for registry-office weddings followed by receptions in the castle courtyard.
Telefonnummer: 07945 9199-21