Sie verwendeten einen veralteten Browser. Bitte führen Sie für ein besseres Surf-Erlebnis ein Upgrade aus.
JavaScript scheint momentan in Ihren Browsereinstellungen deaktiviert zu sein.
Bitte nehmen Sie eine Änderung dieser Einstellung vor und laden Sie die Webseite neu, um deren volle Funktionalität zu ermöglichen.
Enjoyment is at home there

The Former Murrhardt Monastery

In Murrhardt, city and monastery were always one unit, enclosed together within a medieval curtain wall. Almost everything has been preserved from the monastery with the exception of two wings and their associated cloisters. The large farmyard (monastery yard) is surrounded by farm buildings with various purposes and old stables. Particularly impressive is the “long building” from 1550. In the south stands the great tithe barn, built in 1535, and the “Faselvieh” or “Hummel” shed from the eighteenth century for breeding animals.

In the west is the rectory, also called Neue Abtei or Prälatur. Next to it is the watchtower and prison called “Hexenturm” (Witches’ Tower). The former monastery church (now the town church), consecrated to Saint Januarius, Mary, John the Baptist, and the Holy Trinity is, in its present state, mainly from the middle of the fifteenth century. To the north lies the Walterich chapel, finished around 1230.

The southern half of the marketplace’s western side was originally presided over by the monastery gate with its gatehouse and the monastery pharmacy – today the St. Walterich pharmacy, one of the oldest pharmacies in Württemberg. In the former monastery administrative building, one finds the information centre of the Nature Park Swabian-Franconian Forest and the tourist information office.

Information:
07192/213-777
touristik(@)murrhardt.de
Homepage Murrhardt

Walterich Church
Monastery yard